Dear SAPLearners, in this blog post we will learn on how to create Full-Text Index in ABAP for SAP HANA database.
The SAP HANA database supports a full text index as a secondary table index. A full text index creates as an additional invisible column on the database.
As a result, the content of the column for a full text index will be saved to this additional column with appropriate formatting and is evaluated when the relevant data is accessed.
Most importantly, to create full-text index following conditions should met:
- A full text index can only be created for the SAP HANA database and for tables with the storage type column store.
- A full text index can only be created for precisely one column in a database table whose predefined data type is CHAR, SHORTSTRING, STRING, or RAWSTRING.
- The database table must have a column for the text language.
A full text index is always non-unique.
Now lets see the steps to create Full-Text Index in ABAP. In this demo example i am creating Full-Text Index for a particular column “NAME” in the database table “SCUSTOM”.
1.Navigate to SE11 transaction and choose the table “SCUSTOM”. Click on Indexes to display the available indices for the table.
2. In Indices for Table SCUTOM dialog window, Click on create button and choose Create Index from the context menu. Provide Index Name and hit Ok button like below.
3. Next, provide Short Description and add/choose the column “NAME” in the Index fields table like below
As we know that Full Text Index is only supported for SAP HANA databases, we have to provide some database specific settings.
4. After that, select radio button For Selected database Systems and hit the button right next to it. Provide following details like mentioned below on Database-specific Index dialog
5. Now choose Goto option in the menu bar and choose Full Text Index from the context menu like below.
6. Finally, tick Full Text Index check-box and hit Copy button.
7. Save and activate the index. Upon successful activation full-text index is create successfully in ABAP for HANA databases.
Congrats!! you have successfully learned the steps on how to create Full Text Index in ABAP for SAP HANA DB.
Please feel free to comment and let us know your feedback. Subscribe for more updates
If you liked it, please share it! Thanks!