Easy UI5 Generator is a community-driven project by SAP to scaffold and generate SAPUI5 and OpenUI5 projects within seconds.
OpenUI5 and SAPUI5 projects often have an essential project structure, including Views, Controllers, Models, etc. Manually creating these files will take time and be prone to errors. Moreover, we may be missing the best practice guidelines from SAP.
The Easy UI5 generator will quickly help to start the basic OpenUI5/SAPUI5 project within no time to overcome these problems. The generator uses the official UI5 tooling and supports multiple deployments such as SAP BTP, SAP HANA XSA, On-Premise ABAP.
The Easy-UI5 is based on Yeoman; if you have not heard of yeoman, it’s an open-source Node.js based client-side scaffolding tool for modern web applications. You can find more about it here.
Now let us look, how we can install the easy-ui5 generator.
Also Read: Getting started with UI5 Tooling
1. You should have already installed Node.js and Npm, follow the installation steps here.
2. Install Yeoman using the following terminal command.
npm i -g yo
3. After couple of seconds, the yeoman is successfully installed.
⚡️ Install Easy UI5 Generator
1. You can install the generator using below terminal command
npm install -g yo generator-easy-ui5
2. Verify the installation by running the following command, and you should see the Easy UI5 generator listed
👩🏻💻 Scaffolding SAPUI5/OpenUI5 project
Run the following command to create a new project, and you need to answer few questions along the way to complete the project creation. Hit enter on each question.
yo easy-ui5 project
- Create a new OpenUI5/SAPUI5 project
- Provide the name of the project
- Enter namespace of the project
- Choose the platform to host the application
- Select View type
- Choose from which location UI5 libraries/controls served from
- Yes, to create a new directory for the project
- Creation of the project starts and you can observe the progress
- After some time project is successfully created.
Now open the project in the Visual Studio Code editor project, and you can see the project with a proper structure based on UI5 tooling.
Run UI5 project
10. Let’s add a sample button in the View and run the project using the below command to start a local development server.
11. The UI5 demo application is running at http://localhost:8080/index.html
Finally, you now know about the Easy-UI5 generator; next time when you want to create a project, you can use this generator.
If you are using SAP Business Application Studio, you can still use this generator.
The Easy-UI5 generator support below target platforms
- Static WebServer
- SAP BTP Cloud Foundry Application Router
- SAP HANA XS Advanced
- SAP BTP HTML5 App Repository
- On-premise ABAP Repository
It also supports sub-generators to support recurring tasks such as.
- Add a new View
- Add a new Component
- Add a new custom control
- Add a new model
- Add a new OPA5 test suite
- Add a new UIVeri5 test suite
Congrats! You have successfully learned about the Easy-UI5 generator. If you liked it ❤️, please share it! Thanks! 🙏
Please feel free to comment and let us know your feedback. Subscribe for more updates.